Friday, July 17, 2015

Pluto - What are we looking at?



This week several of my FB friends (well okay, three) have been excited about the pictures of the once (and future?) planet, Pluto. I was relieved when I saw the first pictures because at first I thought they were talking about Bluto,
and even though Popeye always managed to beat him at the end of every cartoon... that guy has always scared me.
Back to Pluto. As I understand it, the story goes like this.
Pluto was discovered in 1930 and was designated a planet. That must have been gratifying. I could look up the name of the guy that discovered it, but that sounds like work.

Then 76 years later, some other guy uses geometry, trigonometry and other stuff I don't understand to prove that Pluto was not a planet.

Tough break.
Then they felt bad, and decided to call Pluto a dwarf planet.

I'm not sure if it was before or after, but sometime in there, they cremated the first guy.
Science folk play for keeps.

They took the ashes of the first guy and put them in a space thingy to toss them out on Pluto.
Does that count as a manned flight?
Mayor de Blasio is monitoring the operation. Seeing as the ex-planet already has a litter problem, NYC has lots of garbage they'd like to throw on the pile.

But while they were exiling that freeze-dried space guy, they took pictures. That's what has my brainy, or nerdy (is there a difference?) FB friends all excited.
But not everybody sees these pictures the same way.
Wait, wasn't Pluto supposed to be the dog planet?
Walt Disney must have had great vision

We humans are pretty creepy

Not this creepy.  Maybe we shouldn't piss off Pluto
Though it's still not as scary as Bluto

   Here's a Pluto I can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment